I recently had the honor to be asked to contribute to an expert blog on Facebook marketing: Facebook for Business: How to Use it to Market Yourself (and Your Brand). 20+ Expert Insights.
It was just published and I was amazed by the great advice my peers dished out. You can read it all here and follow them on Twitter and Facebook also (and just to be clear, I would never call myself a Facebook expert :-)).
Below I am reproducing the piece of the article I wrote (and slightly amended):
“I have to admit that Facebook is my least leveraged channel when it comes to externally marketing my social media consulting business.
- The main reason is that I have primarily worked with B2B clients, and I see Facebook more suited to B2C marketing (at least in the USA).
- Second, Facebook is my little sanctuary where I connect with a very select network of people; conversations are typically private and personal.
But, recently, I supported a New York Times Bestselling author with his new book promotion > and then started to work with Beonpop – an app that helps individuals and brands measure and improve their social media performance > and that brought Facebook marketing back onto my horizon.
Facebook for Awareness and Conversion
Beonpop has had great success with Facebook marketing in Brazil, using promoted updates to attract the first few thousands users to Beonpop.com.
Without disclosing any confidential information, I can share that our paid Facebook activity created a higher ROI for us then, say, Google Ads.
Only a couple of years later, Beonpop has 500,000+ users and growth is mostly organic (6,000 to 9,000 new users daily, really!).
- Later this year, we are launching Beonpop in the USA and will again use Facebook promoted updates to stimulate adoption. The USA is a bit more jaded when it comes to Facebook than many Latin American countries that were later adopters, but we believe Beonpop will be a full success (already over 5,000 US users without any marketing :-)).
- Once we launch the Beonpop app, we intend to extend our ad strategy to paid Facebook In-App advertising.
Here are my top 3 tips for bloggers and consultants who don’t want to waste any time or money using Facebook:
1. Be clear about your goals.
There’s a big difference in your strategy if you want to create awareness vs. traffic back to your site.
2. Use a different approach than on Twitter or LinkedIn
Emotions, stories and visuals work best.
3. Don’t over-share.
Especially if your content is more promotional in nature (vs. educational or funny), users are more likely to ban you from their timelines if you share more than 2-3 times in a 24 hour period.
4. Bonus tip
Beonpop is a Facebook app. As a brand, you cannot only manage your online performance and see how you stack up, but also run inexpensive WOM campaigns that will increase your fans and engagement.
Contact me if you want to learn more, be a beta user or simply sign up at Beonpop.com.